We all know what it feels like to feel bloated and like our tummies are backed up, and could do with a good release! The salt water flush is a safe and cheap way to DIY cleanse your colon. This simple process forces your body to expel any accumulation in your digestive tract in a way that is GENTLE and EFFECTIVE (none of those horrible cramps that laxatives and herbal teas give you).
Drinking a mixture of real sea salt and water causes the body to push waste through the GI tract, release toxins and improve digestion. This method of stomach and colon cleansing has actually been used for many years and is thought to be a lot safer than some of the commercial colon-cleansing drugs like diuretic teas or laxatives.
Here are some of the many benefits that a salt water flush is thought to provide:
Contracts muscles in digestive tract
Provides trace minerals
Forces out toxins & cleanses colon
Clears fluid retention
Balances electrolyte/mineral levels
Facilitates metabolic processes
Balances the body’s pH level
Clears up digestive issues
A salt water flush is great if you’re dealing with constipation and bloating, as it gets things moving in that department.
HOW DO I DO IT?
First of all – this has to be done on an empty stomach (even before coffee and tea), preferably first thing in the morning. If you choose to do it later in the day, make sure you haven’t eaten in at least 2 hours.
Secondly, you will probably want to clear your schedule for the day and make sure your bathroom is in a good condition to be your hangout spot for the day (lighting a scented candle, and making sure everything is clean is always soothing).
2 tablespoons lemon water (optional, but helps alleviate nausea and makes the taste more bearable)
1. Warm your water but do not allow it to boil
2. Add the salt, water and lemon juice to the jar and put the lid on. Shake it to help the salt dissolve. You should not see any granules floating in the liquid.
3. Drink the mixture as quickly as you can. Under 5 minutes is best.
4. Once you’ve finished drinking, to lay down on your left side and massage your belly to encourage the process to take effect.
Shortly after consuming the mixture, you may notice your belly making noises and feel the muscular contractions occurring. You may also start to feel the need to go to the bathroom;
Try to wait 30 minutes before going to the bathroom
5. When you can’t hold out any longer go to the bathroom. You may find you need to go several times. For some people your colon may take several hours to empty! This is why we suggest doing it from home and ensuring you have a bathroom nearby.